Reading Response Blog: Outline
Initial response/reading of text:
- How did you read this? Why do you read it the way that you do?
- Who is the target audience for the text? Who do you think is not the target audience?
- Did other student's readings change or affect my understanding?
How you made meaning or negotiated meaning:
- What do you actually see in the text? What do those things make you feel of think of (connotation)?
- What is it really about - at a subtextual level?
- What discourses (symbols/print language/body language which carry or have threaded through them cultural assumptions and values, attitudes and beliefs) are mobilised in the text? How is the viewer supposed to think about themselves if they buy or consume the service?
- Can NOT read any text without using the lens of your discursive history. EVERYthing is interpreted through the eyes of the things you've previously been exposed to. We learn, we adapt, we evolve.
- Polysemy - all texts are polysemous, so, what DO I think is the invited viewing position? Did I take this view, or an alternative reading position? Why did I do so?
Would I use this text in a Yr 11/12 English class? Why/why not?
- Could use it in conjunction with other texts (kylie clip - occurrence at owl creek -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jLxlyTrAC4)
- Possibly not the kylie clip - it's simply too.....random, too open. Maybe as an example of all of the different interpretations?