Identify one point that Melissa Lucashenko raised in her presentation.
I'm actually DELIGHTED to write about this (and not simply because of the hilarity of those who don't attend lectures). Melissa Lucashenko was fantastic to listen to and gave some great insight into her perspective as an Indigenous writer.
A couple of brief points:
- "Non-indigenous writers, writing with an Indigenous perspective." Discussion of Thomas Kenneally - especially, as Lucashenko and Vivian has said, the fact that, in the present day, he wouldn't be able to write it (and nor would he want to). One particular sentiment I liked, 'Leave us alone. Don't write about us, write about you....what you know'.
- Following on from that, "Everybody's first novel is at least partially autobiographical." This made sense to me, but was something I hadn't thought about before. Until you have gotten that THING out of your system, you really can only write about what you know. And what you know best, is yourself.