Thursday, August 19, 2010

Reflections on Forwarded Funnies...

I recently received - what I see as - a pretty unsavoury 'Forwarded Funny'.
Do you (or even future me) think I'm being stupid....?

 Anyway, I felt compelled to send a cursory message back. Nothing too disgruntled, just a simple "I find this one discriminatory..."

The message I got back didn't seem too bothered (which I  was worried about, as I hadn't bared my claws for an attack), but a little....offhand and sarcastic.

I'm slightly put out that this friend wouldn't understand my somewhat obvious discomfort. My sister currently has two wickedly awesome children (whom I absolutely love to death) to a Torres Straight Islander, and, whilst that's not the only reason, it should be a big enough sign not to send me derogatory emails about this issue. I think I've got my back up a bit because of my current Indigenous Studies classes. And yet, I don't know. With all of the 'whiteness as an invisible race' discussions at uni and.... Laya & Lucas (particularly how badly I'd hurt somebody who said something similar in their direction), I just don't know how to react. 

To ignore it, seems like I'm silently condoning it.....but, to actively say anything raises the issue that.....well....that it's really none of my business. 

Is it....?